AARP staff and volunteers across the country are working with local leaders and organizations to enhance the quality of life for all people of all ages. To help support communities and create change in both AARP age-friendly network and non-network communities, AARP plays several key roles, including advocating on important issues, engaging citizens, providing resources and expertise, and serving as a catalyst and convener.
AARP knows that great communities take time to build and sustain. But “quick actions” can be the critical spark for longer-term progress. That’s why the AARP Community Challenge will fund projects to help build momentum. If your idea is big, no project is too small. Projects can range from short-term activities costing a few hundred dollars to sizable efforts that might need thousands.
Example projects include:
- Helping to construct shelters and way-finding stations
- Transforming vacant or underutilized public spaces
- Creating intergenerational playgrounds
- Installing traffic calming measures like circles, street trees, crosswalk enhancements, etc.
- Supporting volunteer driving programs
- Projects to improve housing that supports people to age in place
- Pop-up projects to highlight positive changes that communities can make to roadways (temporary or permanent bike lanes, roundabouts, etc.) and expand transportation options (as part of a longer term plan or approach)
Learn more on the official website.
Who Can Apply
ELIGIBLE FOR FUNDING
- 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) nonprofits
- Government entities
CHALLENGE TIMELINE: 2017
- June 30: Click here to access and submit the online AARP Community Challenge application by this date
- August 3: Letters of Agreement are sent to the chosen grantees
- August 10: Response deadline for the Letters of Agreement
- August 23: The chosen grantees are announced to the public
- November 1: All projects must be completed by this date
- November 13-17: Select projects will be profiled at the 2017 AARP National Livable Communities Conference
- December 1: Deadline for completing and submitting an After Action Report