Since 1956, the League of American Bicyclists has been promoting May as National Bike Month. The arrival of great weather is a chance to explore the benefits of bicycling and encourage people to use bikes in their everyday lives.
Here are some ways to celebrate National Bike Month:
- Check in on your bike. Make sure the tires have adequate air pressure, the brakes work, and the seat is at the right height and position for you. Click here for a great guide on a how to conduct a pre-ride bike inspection, or watch a video version on YouTube.
- New Jersey law 39:4-10 requires lights to ride at night, but why not do better? Treat yourself to a high quality lights to illuminate the road and to make yourself visible to other traffic.
- With the new ban on disposable plastic bags, now is a great time to purchase a bike bag to carry supplies to your destination.
- Speaking of new laws, did you know that New Jersey has a brand new safe passing law? Read about what it entails, and help to spread the word! If you’re on TikTok, an advocate has put together a great clip to share.
- Stopping by the store? Keep your bike safe by buying a high quality bike lock and following best practice on where and how to secure your bike.
- Participate in Bike to Work Week (May 16th – 22nd) and Bike to Work Day (Friday, May 20th).
- Visit the NJ Safe Routes Resource Center website to learn about joining registered walk and bike to school events or planning your own.
- Create a map of your community and highlight the safest roads to bike on. Perhaps identify a fun bike ride to do over the weekend.
- Create a challenge for yourself to bike once per week and invite a friend to do it with you, or reach out to your TMA to learn more about regional bike challenges in your area.
- Active on social media? The Bike League offers a great guide with pre-written social media text for you to use.
Work with your regional TMA to create a Ciclovia. A Ciclovia is an event that temporarily closes streets to car traffic and opens them to people for all kinds of uses such as biking or participating in various games and activities. Visit our flickr account to view hundreds of photos from the New Brunswick Ciclovia.
- And most important of all: keep biking after National Bike Month!